Thursday, April 8, 2010

Books, authors, and writing

You want to know someone else who has awesome blog posts--Mettie Ivie Harrison (http://metteharrison.livejournal.com/).

You want to know a really good book--Wings by Aprilynne Pike. I heard her talk about it at last year's LTUE (Life, the Universe, and Everything Sci-fi/fantasy symposium at BYU) and have wanted to read it since then. So, when I saw it at the library yesterday I checked it out and started reading it--way good. Definitely a book I want to own. I also want to buy the books in Shannon Hale's Bayern series. I just finished re-reading them. They are stellar books. They are good examples of good writing.

Today I went to an Orson Scott Card writing workshop--Roads to Writing (note: I was so tired this morning that when I first wrote it down in my notebook I wrote "roads into riding" LOL). I enjoyed the workshop. The authors there (Card, Brandon Mull, Aaron Johnston, and Edmund R. Schubert) gave lots of good advice. But now comes the real test--doing it. That is, of course, my biggest challenge. Just doing it. Just write! That is what I need to do. I really liked Aaron Johnston's presentation on finding time to write. You really do have to make the time. And to do it even when you're exhausted, tired, hurting, etc.

So...go write!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodreads

Karen Porter's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists